Sunday 12 December 2010

Terrible Two's......No terrible three's

     As the day and months go by, your children or child turns into the cliche ray of sunshine everyone has always talked about. Then something happens, they start to find their own personalities and start to decide what they want to do, and when they want to do it.

     Niel was always the shy out of my two, he was the adorable charmer that melted everyone's hearts. The minute he looked at people with his deep brown eyes, they would smoother him with hugs and kisses. Until the day i told him no to something. He went into this tantrum id never saw before. I sent him to his room as i usually did to think about his behaviour. This had always worked as he didn't like being separated from the rest of the family. Today was different. He started kicking the door shouting, screaming and crying. He wouldn't listen when i told him to calm down, he was so angry and upset. I was horrified. Part of me just wanted to let him out of his room to stop this high pitched screaming, but he just wouldn't stop. He went on till he eventually fell asleep on the floor. Though it hurt me to leave him in there, i figured that by backing down it was only going to lead to more problems. I knew giving a three year old control wasn't the route i wanted to take.
    
     I left him all night in the same spot, and to my delight in the morning he was so ashamed of the way he had behaved. I talked to him and explained that his behaviour would never be accepted by me or anyone else. By destroying or kicking things he will only hurt himself or ruin things he liked. To my surprise Niel never behaved this way again, he really felt ashamed of himself and it was a hard lesson to learn.

      I'm still waiting for Nia to rebel, possibly she wont, maybe seeing Niel's punishment put her off behaving in such a way. So that's a plus to having twins, they might put each other off behaving badly!

No comments:

Post a Comment